Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing » Upcoming Sea Ray 340 Correction

Notices

Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing One of the major areas of boat detailing is the restoration, maintenance and preservation of your goat's gel-coat hull.

Upcoming Sea Ray 340 Correction
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Shtexas

Default Upcoming Sea Ray 340 Correction

Hey guys,
I posted this over at Autogeek as well. Thought I should post it over here too.

So I have the Sea Ray pulled out of the water and in dry dock to inspect. It's going to be pressure washed and the bottom is being repainted. The propellers and rudders are getting refinished as well. I'll start the correction process in a little over a week.

It's a 2001 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer. The interior is very good condition. The exterior as you can see in the pictures is need of work.

The canvas is currently at the upholstery shop having new zippers put on. I'll be cleaning and treating it as well.

I'll start off by wet sanding the the gunwales and other smooth areas on the deck, as well as the arch. All of these areas were exposed heavily to sunlight and rain for the past few years.

After wet sanding I'll switch to the rotary and wool pad with a heavy compound. I'm thinking of trying the Marine 31 Heavy compound this time. Afterwards I'll follow up with the Marine 31 Gel Coat Gloss and Color Restore. My LSP will most likely be Collinite. It has the best durability I've seen on boats.

I'm going to clean all the non skid with starbrite. It removes all the stains and leaves a nice white surface.

The vinyl, carpets, helm, and other areas in the boat will be cleaned with diluted purple power. The vinyl and plastics will be protected with 303 afterwards.

Here's some before pictures. The red line in some of the pictures is a divider I put. Underneath the line is just getting rotary work, above the line is being wetsanded. It's hard to see in the pictures, but the hull still has a slight amount of shine to it.

You can see a little of the shine on the hull in the picture above ^^ not much sunlight, it was early and overcast.
Shtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Upcoming Sea Ray 340 Correction

You have a HUGE project you're undertaking...

Thanks for sharing on the forum and thank you even more for sharing the pictures. Keep in mind you also have a free photo gallery here on Marine31Online to upload your pictures too...

Be sure to check out the before and after from our Baja detail this week and you'll see how the Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner works on the neglected gel-coat.

Today or tomorrow I'm going to clean, rejuvenate and restore the colorful vinyl interior, I'll be sure to post before and after pictures of this too...

Old 06-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
Shtexas

I'll be watching out for those vinyl pictures. The vinyl interior on this one could use some work and I'm interested in how to keep it protected after a through cleaning.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Shtexas

So I've been pretty behind with the boat and haven't been able to start yet.
I planned on doing some routine maintenance before starting and as it is with boats, the routine maintenance turned into some major repair work.

The generator won't start so I went in to see what was wrong with it. It only has 9 hours on it right now. 9 hours on a 2001. The break in time is 10 hours so it's not even broken in. The carb ended up being pretty fouled so I went ahead and rebuilt it.
The exhaust manifolds on each engine, the exhaust riser, and the raw water intake pumps also need to be replaced which I'm in the process of right now.

The boat was transported here recently and I thought all the canvas had been removed. Come to find out part of the canvas had not been removed until the boat had been driven about 60 miles getting up to around 60mph. When I was checking it out taking the pictures I didn't think to lay out the canvas and check it because it was folded in the cabin. It was in rough shape and desperately needed a cleaning. Because of driving with it on and the rough shape, it caused the bottom of one of the Sunbrella panels to start cracking. I'm going to pick it up today and give it a cleaning and treatment with the 303 products recommended.
I'll take some pictures and post them at a later time.

I should be finished next week and starting on the outside detail.