Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Thermoformed Polyethylene canoe bottom

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Thermoformed Polyethylene canoe bottom
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
stanza387

Default Thermoformed Polyethylene canoe bottom

Hey guys,

So this is my first post on this forum and let me start by saying hello to everyone. So i got a friend of mine who has a newer canoe and he wants the bottom buffed out. He said theres not any BAD scratches in the hull and its in fairly good condition with very minor surface scratches/defects. My question is has anyone ever worked on a Thermoformed Polyethylene hull? is this any different then a fiberglass hull? if so how much different and what products should i look into? or is this something that should not even be attempted? thanks guys!
stanza387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Thermoformed Polyethylene canoe bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanza387 View Post
Hey guys,

So this is my first post on this forum and let me start by saying hello to everyone. So i got a friend of mine who has a newer canoe and he wants the bottom buffed out. He said theres not any BAD scratches in the hull and its in fairly good condition with very minor surface scratches/defects.

My question is has anyone ever worked on a Thermoformed Polyethylene hull? is this any different then a fiberglass hull? if so how much different and what products should i look into? or is this something that should not even be attempted? thanks guys!
I believe I've worked on similar materials and if I remember correctly they will shine up with buffing but don't use compounds. Stick with a quality one-step cleaner/wax and a foam pad on a dual action polisher or rotary buffer.

Also test first and see what happens before buffing out the entire thing.

Welcome to Marine31Online!