Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Wax + Sealant vs boat coating

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Wax + Sealant vs boat coating
Old 04-18-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Tbarile

Default Wax + Sealant vs boat coating

I have a 2012 Super Air Nautique (wakeboard boat). It's in excellent condition with no visible oxidation. My question is which should I use between sealant and boat coating? I'm in fresh water if that makes any difference. I believe you have to polish the old coating off when you want to do a new coat, that sounds like quite a bit of extra work. Thanks for your feedback.
Tbarile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Wax + Sealant vs boat coating

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Fresh water is sure a lot easier on EVERYTHING including you than salt water!

A gel-coat "coating" will last longer and protect longer plus make washing and drying faster. In order to apply a gel-coat coating however you do have to have a clean base to start with and this means no previously applied waxes or sealants.

It's faster and easier to apply either a finishing wax or a light cleaning cleaner/wax by machine but it is true these won't last as long.

My write-up for this boat class shows applying a coating and the process....

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015