Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Marine 31 Products - Made by boat people for boat people... » Marine 31 Product Reviews » Weekend With Marine 31 Products

Notices

Marine 31 Product Reviews Share your product reviews in this forum...

Weekend With Marine 31 Products
Old 05-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Pats300zx

Default Weekend With Marine 31 Products

This past weekend I prepped my boat for the summer season after pulling it out of storage and shrink wrap. I figured it was a good chance to try out some of the new Marine 31 products. I got a chance to mess with some of the products at Detail Fest this year and was really looking forward to trying some of them out on my boat this year. My boat is a 1999 Chaparral 1830. The boat is prepped the same at the beginning and the end of the season and spends the entire summer in the water. It still looks as new as the day that I got it thanks to a lot of care.

My process is the same every season when I pull the boat out or put it in the water.

Polish with DG 501 via PC white Sonus pad
Collonite 845
Ultima Tire and Trim Guard on the rub rail

Even after a hard winter of being shrink wrapped the beading from the Collonite 845 was amazing when I washed it . I can’t believe how well this LSP holds up in the marine environment.

This year I decided to mess and substitute some of the some of the Marine 31 products to see how they stacked up against my staples. I was pretty impressed with their ease of use and look.

Here are the products I had a chance to use this weekend.

Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax

Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax is the ideal one-step solution for removing light oxidation and staining on gel coat – standard and painted. Formulated using advanced micro-abrasives, propriety cleaning agents and nourishing oils, Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax maximizes color and gloss while leaving a durable layer of wax protection. This zero-dusting formula is incredibly easy to apply by hand or machine.

Cost: $17.99

Thoughts: I applied the Marine 31 AIO via a Sonus white pad and my PC. It did an excellent job of cleaning up the gelcoat from the winter nastyness. Since I keep up on my boat every season I have very little oxidation and the Marine 31 AIO cleaned everything up for my LSP. The Marine 31 AIO left the surface very slick and wipe off was a breeze. I was pretty impressed with how dirty the white pad was after using it with the Marine 31 AIO showing that it was really pulling a lot of crud off. The cut is definitely on par with DG 501.

Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner

Cost: $12.99

Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner is a biodegradable marine cleaner that encapsulates dirt and grime, leaving marine surfaces clean and fresh. Safe for virtually any surface, Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner can be used to remove black streaks, mildew, and other common stains that are found in the marine environment. Concentrated formula dilutes according to specific jobs – vinyl, carpet, upholstery, and more!

Thoughts: My interior was pretty messy this year considering the boat was shrink wrapped. My guess is that the marina left the covers off one day which did not make me happy. I used the Marine 31 APC with a bucket of warm water and a MF towel and proceeded to wipe everything down. One thing I noticed about the APC was that it had a very nice clean scent that was not “overpowering” like some other APC’s. The directions say it can be diluted at 5:1 or 10:1 but I used straight from the bottle. I even used some of the carpet. The results were excellent as far as cleaning the vinyl and carpets.

Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner

Cost: $12.99

Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner & Conditioner gently cleans and protects all marine vinyl surfaces in one simple step. Gentle cleaners remove ground-in dirt and grime while Ciba Tinuvin UV Inhibitors protect against harmful UV rays to prevent cracking and fading. Vinyl surfaces will retain their color and texture when regularly treated. Water-based formula ensures the surface isn’t left sticky or greasy.

Thoughts: I applied the Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner and Conditioner via micro fiber applicator. It left the surface with a nice matte finish that was not greasy at all. I will see how it holds up through the summer with expose to the sun etc.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Wax & Shine Detail Spray

Marine 31 Gel Coat Wax & Shine Detail Spray was formulated to safely remove fresh water spots, oil, film, and any other type of contaminants that plague a boat from everyday use. High lubricity cleaners remove foreign particles without scratching. Fortified with real carnauba wax, Marine 31 Gel Coat Wax & Shine Detail Spray renews existing protection while imparting a high-gloss, slick carnauba finish.

Thoughts: I used the Marine 31 Detail Spray for a final quick wipedown with a micro fiber towel. It was very easy to use and a little went a long way. Marine 31 Detail Spray also left the surface very slick. I did not have a chance to try it out in the sun to see if it streaked etc.

Marine 31 Stainless Steel & Aluminum Brightening Soap

Simply amazing - that’s the only way to describe Marine 31 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap. This innovative product from Marine 31 removes corrosion and brightens stainless steel, aluminum and chrome in half the time it takes conventional metal polishes. Marine 31 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap is so effortless in its application and the results so pleasing that you’ll find yourself using it on your friends’ boat in addition to your own.

Thoughts: This product is very similar to P21S polishing soap. You wet the supplied applicator and apply to the metal surface and wipe clean with a micro fiber towel. Most the metal on my boat (handles, ladder, etc) are in good shape. The Marine 31 Brightening Soap cleaned them up and left them looking brand new.

Overall conclusion: The Marine 31 products are very easy to use and work as described with great results.
I have some of the waterlesss/rinseless washes and spray waxes to try while maintain the boat throughout the summer. I also plan to prep my waverunner for the summer with some of the Marine 31 products so I will report back as well.

End results:

Not the best pictures as I was fighting the rain. Wish I would have gotten some sun shots !!!

Pats300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Weekend With Marine 31 Products

Dang!

Looks awesome Pat! Thank you for a top notch write-up and excellent pictures...

Old 05-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
tropicsteve

it's amazing when you make an effort to care for your boat like you do pat, that it is easier to care for in the long run. that's a really nice boat for sure and all the products worked great.
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Nick

Excellent work Pat!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote