Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Metal Polishing » How To: Polish & Protect Metal

Notices

Metal Polishing How to remove oxidation and polish to perfection aluminum, stainless, brass, chrome, and copper surfaces.

How To: Polish & Protect Metal
Old 05-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Nick

Default How To: Polish & Protect Metal

In boat care and detailing, sometimes the most tedious and laborious jobs can be the most rewarding. Case in point: metal polishing.

Metal polishing is hard work, especially if you're used to spending a Sunday afternoon wiping off a thinly-applied coat of Pinnacle Souveran - something that takes no effort, literally. So when Max, the man behind Marine 31, approached me to give his Albury Brother's boat trailer the shine it deserved, Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish was the obvious choice for restoring the brilliance to the diamond plate fenders. Here's why: it's exceptionally easy to use and, most importantly, it works.

Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish is a medium-cut polish designed to restore the brilliance and luster to uncoated aluminum and metal surfaces on your boat. Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish creates a mirror-like finish that can be seen from a distance. If your boat’s brightwork is dull and oxidized, give it the attention it deserves with Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish!

Diamond plate fenders on Max's boat trailer

Doesn't look too bad 'eh? Let's take a closer look.

Step 1: Clean

I started off by cleaning the trailer with Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner and an assortment of brushes.

Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner is a biodegradable marine cleaner that encapsulates dirt and grime, leaving marine surfaces clean and fresh. Safe for virtually any surface, Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner can be used to remove black streaks, mildew, and other common stains that are found in the marine environment. Concentrated formula dilutes according to specific jobs – vinyl, carpet, upholstery, and more!

Step 2: Prep

A high-speed rotary polisher and a wool pad is the quickest way of restoring the shine and luster to metal surfaces. Combine the direct-drive power of a high-speed rotary polisher with the fast cutting action of a wool pad and you'll remove oxidation and staining in no time.

Following the theme of "work smart and not hard," I equipped my Flex PE14-2-150 - the smoothest running rotary polisher money can buy - with a 6.5 inch Lake Country Level 1 Pre-polishing Wool Pad. This combination, when paired with Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish, made quick and easy work of removing the oxidation from the stainless steel fenders.

Whenever you're starting out with a brand-new wool pad, you first want to use a wool pad spur on it. This removes any loose fibers from a new pad or any contaminants that the pad could have possibly picked up. A wool pad spur from Lake Country will quickly become one of your most valued detailing tools when working with wool pads.

Step 3: Polish

After cleaning my pad I started polishing. Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish cuts exceptionally well for the mirror-finish it creates. Its thick formula is eco-friendly and its smell won't offend you.

Note that I had a Rotary Backing Plate Extension equipped on my FLEX PE14-2-150. This made it easier to see the working area as the body of the tool is placed farther away from the backing plate/pad.

My backing plate of choice was a Flex-Foam HD Rotary Backing Plate. This backing plate features a flexible construction which makes it easy to transition from flat to contoured surfaces, like the rolled edge on the diamond plate fender.

Step 4: Protect

After polishing the diamond plate fenders to a mirror finish I applied a coat of Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant is designed to provide the utmost in surface protection for gel coat – standard and painted. Real carnauba wax fortified with advanced crystalline polymers locks out UV rays and prevents salt from degrading the underlying finish. Exceptionally easy to apply and remove, Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant creates a mirror-like finish that lasts.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant makes for an exceptional metal sealant as well, making it the obvious choice for protecting the wheels and diamond plate fenders.

I applied it by hand using a Gold Wax Finger Pocket. These are great because they're super soft and they keep your fingers protected from any sharp edges.

After letting Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant dry to a haze, I buffed it off using a All Purpose & Wheel Detailing Towel.

Step 5: Put on your sunglasses!

In no time at all Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish paired with the lean, mean, FLEX PE14 restored the shine and luster to the diamond plate fenders.

With the right metal polish and tool for the job, polishing your diamond plate, aluminum or chrome surfaces doesn't have to be such a laborious task.

Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish

Marine 31 - Waxes, Cleaners & Polishes

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
tropicsteve

Default Re: How To: Polish & Protect Metal

man, what a difference the polish made. looks great !
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Nick

Default Re: How To: Polish & Protect Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
man, what a difference the polish made. looks great !
It sure does!

A lot of people fail to seal the diamond plate/aluminum/stainless steel after polishing it. Sealing it locks in the shine and provides durable protection so the surface stays shiny.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote