Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing Projects » Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects » Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Notices

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015
Old 04-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Note: The next class will be in August call Nick at 1-877-797-8803 to get registered.

Here's the group shot with John Greviskis from Ship Shape TV!

Thank you to everyone that attended!
I hope you all had as much fun as Nick and I had and also learned some tips, techniques and tools to make detailing boats faster, more effective and more fun.

This is the thread to post your comments, feedback and pictures from the class. If you're not a member of this forum you need to join the forum in order to post to it.

Click here to join the forum

If you need help then give either myself or Nick a call or e-mail

Mike: 1-800-869-3011 x206

Nick: 1-800-869-3011 x215

Thank you!

Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Bob A

Default Re: Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Mike,

The class far exceeded my expectations. I was hesitant to jump into gel coat refinish work. I now can go at it like an experienced professional. Two things I would like to have seen: A copy of the powerpoint. A 5 minute discussion on how to approach areas of the boat that are not machinable. Like the rim seated area under a hatch, or some of those areas on the hull that are cluttered by exposed hardware. The class is worth twice the price.

V/r
b
Bob A
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Mike,

The class far exceeded my expectations. I was hesitant to jump into gel coat refinish work. I now can go at it like an experienced professional.

Two things I would like to have seen:
A copy of the powerpoint.

A 5 minute discussion on how to approach areas of the boat that are not machinable. Like the rim seated area under a hatch, or some of those areas on the hull that are cluttered by exposed hardware.
The class is worth twice the price.

V/r
b
Bob A

Hi Bob,

Thank you for attending the class and thank you very much for the feedback.

Like we discussed in the class, on a scale of 1 to 10 this boat was about a 5 or 6 with the amount of oxidation, scratches and water spots. This made for a really great learning experience because it was bad enough that it enabled us to show a complete restoration process but not so bad that it couldn't be saved without hundreds of hours of work.

As for the Power Point I'm working on something like that for future classes as well as everyone that attended this last class.

As for areas that are hard to get by machine that's when we have to fall back on good old fashioned elbow grease and knock these out by hand. The sanding can be done by hand and even rubbing out your sanding marks it just takes more time.

A better approach is to fall back on using an aggressive one-step cleaner/wax and a simple piece of cotton terrycloth as the terrycloth acts like a mild form of abrasive and together with the abrasives in the cleaner/wax and a little elbow grease you can restore these harder to work areas to match the result created by machine on the surrounding surfaces. Besides the work element the other huge factor is simply the time element.

Yours truly and a few guys in the warehouse will be out restoring the studio back to its former condition plus I'm going to finish buffing out the diamond plate fenders on the trailer.

After that I'll try to get some pictures from the class into this thread today.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
Bob A

My skiff is a "12". As I am repairing and working with fresh shot gel coat, and have a number of hatches to address time and effort are paramount. I'm inclined to take my Milwaukee angle drill and mount a small wool pad in order to work all the lid seated areas. The original lids sit over a recessed lip that captures the water. I'm modifying them for height and width to accept gaskets. The lids have a lot of wear and tear from sitting hard on the deck. Thanks again for your insight and recommendations. I may have to attend a few of your Thursday gigs. The wife is fired up to have me detail the trucks. V/r Rj
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
crackedconch

This class was just great! Mike is the absolute best! Nick was very knowledgeable and helpful too!

I drove over to the class from St. Pete as a boat owner wanting to learn more about how to care for my own boat. There were many people in the class in the professional detail business. I thought I might be a bit out of my element, but the class was truly set up and taught to be effective for anyone!

I learned that much of how I had been going about boat care was the 'hard way' and that there truly is an easier way. Mike showed us tools and products that sincerely save time, effort and money. Mike and Nick were very friendly and patient to answer all my questions (...and I had a lot of them). The facility is top-notch and they are very safety-minded.

John Greviskis from Ship Shape TV stopped by which was a nice bonus.

After seeing Marine31 on Ship Shape about a year ago, I ordered and used some products. They are easier to use than competitor's products and give great results, often much better. But the class also taught me how to know which product is right for which job, keep it simple and how to select the least aggressive product that will achieve the desired result.

I'd highly recommend this class to anyone! A big thanks again to Mike and Nick (and John)!!!

-Bryan Cook
crackedconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Went through the pictures taken during the class, going to post them in the order they were taken...

Our classes start with a Power Point Presentation where we go over all the topics to be covered in the class and then we focus in on the first topic.

After discussing the first topic it's time for hands-on practice. One of the topics we cover is the order in which to do each step. I keep the focus on reducing steps.

So before washing the boat outside, we went over how to polish the metal brightwork and machine scrub the non-skid. By tackling these two components BEFORE washing the boat you can remove the polish residue off the metal brightwork while washing the boat, (this save you at least one step), and the rinse the non-skid while washing the boat, (this saves you a step.

Saving steps = saving time and energy
To clean and polish all the metal brightwork we're using Marine 31 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap which uses all natural soap flakes without any of the nasty solvents or abrasives used in a lot of metal polishes.

You can apply this and wipe it off or what I find is a lot easier is to apply it and then wash it off. Thus applying it BEFORE you wash the boat makes the job faster and cleaner.

Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

Next we scrubbed the hard, molded-in non-skid. Now you can do this by hand with a scrub brush or using a brush on a pole. Both these approaches work.

To REALLY get the non-skid clean I showed how to MACHINE SCRUB the non-skid using Cyclo brushes on both the Cyclo Polisher and the Porter Cable Polishers using Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner.

Another reason I show doing this step by machine is because later we're going to SEAL the molded-in non skid surfaces using the Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba and like a lot of detailing procedures the most important aspect of sealing non-skid is starting with a clean surface and machine cleaning does a better job of cleaning non-skid than you can ever do by hand.

This is another step you want to do BEFORE washing the boat because you don't want to use electric tools around water. So we polished the metal brightwork and machine scrubbed the non-skid with the boat inside the studio and then after finishing these two steps moved the boat outside into the hot Florida sun to wash the boat.

The order you do the steps is up to you... I like to find ways that reduce the number of steps while still getting the job done fast and efficient.

Of course most people won't have an air conditioned studio to work in when detailing a boat but we like provide a fun, cool and educational work environment for all our classes.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Mike Phillips

Boat Washing

Nothing like a hot sunny day here in Stuart, Florida to step outside wash a boat and get a little Florida sunshine!

In our boat detailing classes we go over personal safety when detailing boats. Here's the Power Point Slide that leads into the discussion on boat detailing safety.

Having sturdy scaffolding or in our case rolling safety ladders with perforated treads. That and brushes with extendable handles to reach the top of the T-top.

Here's Oscar foaming the outside of the boat using the Marine 31 1/2 gallon Foam Gun with Marine 31 Gel Coat Wash & Wax with Carnauba

Here's Daniel power rinsing the suds off the boat using the power washer from his mobile detailing van. He has an incredible fully self-contained set-up enabling him to tackle anything!

At all our classes we show a wide variety of tools including the Guzzler Waffle Weave Drying towels for drying off the water to avoid water spots.

Here's Frank using the Ultimate Guzzler which measures 28" by 44" and has pockets on both ends to slide your hands into.

And also the Absorber XL Drying Towel which is a synthetic chamois. Here's Jeff drying the topside.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Billenall

Default Re: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class Schedule - April 18th, 2015

Mike and Nick,

Your class on Saturday was exceptional not only was it informative but also very user friendly.

I have been detailing boats for years but taking your class introduced me to your superior product line and tools. The right tool does make the difference and so does the right product, Marine 31 is fantastic stuff. I spoke with Nick and he had my order to me the next day and I am actually looking forward to using it.

Mike it was a pleasure meeting you and experiencing your passion for what you do. I would recommend anyone to take this class especially if you ever consider doing this for a living or are involved in the boat industry. I met some great hard working Americans that just wanted to make their skills better than the next guy and they did just that.

Thanks again Mike and Nick for a great class !

Bill Allen
General Manager
Jacksonville Marine Inc.
Billenall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
Mike Phillips

Special Guest Visit

John Greviskis, the host of "Ship Shape TV" stopped by to say hi and chat with all the guys....