Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Cleaning vinyl cushions

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Cleaning vinyl cushions
Old 05-17-2015, 11:45 AM   #1
Shineright

Default Cleaning vinyl cushions

Good morning. I caught the very end of ship shape TV this morning, and missed you cleaning the cushions. I was intrigued however by what I thought you were using on them. Were you using the Flex 3401 on the vinyl? I may have seen something different, but was curious as to how effective that would be and what wool pad you would use.

Most vinyl cleaners don't necessarily do what they say. Thus leaving black marks still all over the seats from old age and dirt stains. The cleaners are always effective if its just being used to maintain and get rid of oily residues from suntan lotion or sweat. But the only thing I have found most effective is a magic eraser and you can imagine how time consuming that is. Thanks in advance!
Shineright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Cleaning vinyl cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shineright View Post

Were you using the Flex 3401 on the vinyl? I may have seen something different, but was curious as to how effective that would be and what wool pad you would use.
I think what you may have seen is the Porter Cable 7424 with a white foam polishing pad being used to remove the cloudiness, oxidation, staining and shallow scuffs and scratches out of clear plastic vinyl windows.

Does that sound right?

We have a new product just for clear plastic windows called,

Marine 31 Clear Vinyl Restorer & Protectant

It can be applied by hand or machine but best results come from machine application especially if you clear vinyl windows are trashed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shineright View Post

Most vinyl cleaners don't necessarily do what they say. Thus leaving black marks still all over the seats from old age and dirt stains. The cleaners are always effective if its just being used to maintain and get rid of oily residues from suntan lotion or sweat. But the only thing I have found most effective is a magic eraser and you can imagine how time consuming that is. Thanks in advance!

While we do carry a brush that fits onto the Flex 3401 I don't remember ever showing it on Ship Shape TV to clean vinyl seats?

We also carry brushes that fit both the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Cyclo dual head polisher and I do use the soft flagged gray brushes on these two tools to clean vinyl.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Shineright

Default Re: Cleaning vinyl cushions

Thanks, Mike. It was a quick shot of the review for that episode. So I couldn't see much. Maybe it was my imagination coming up with possibly a good idea? Doesn't sound like a terrible one at least. Machine scrubbing makes any job easier. And I own just about every marine 31 product, most in bulk. All great resources to get the job done. But, I did not know about the plastic cleaner yet. Will be trying it out very soon!

Thanks again!
Shineright is offline   Reply With Quote