Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Metal Polishing » Polishing metal with Marine 31

Notices

Metal Polishing How to remove oxidation and polish to perfection aluminum, stainless, brass, chrome, and copper surfaces.

Polishing metal with Marine 31
Old 08-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
Todd.Helme@Marine31

Default Polishing metal with Marine 31

My friend's motorcycle trailer (a 14 year old Hallmark) was in need of some attention. Since Marine 31 products are designed to work quickly on similar surfaces, I thought working on this trailer would present a good opportunity to test and review some of the Marine 31 lineup.

Here is the starting condition of the metal surfaces. Now I have used many metal polishes and many mutli-step processes to restore metal finishes but the goal with this trailer was quick & easy. Marine 31 was designed to keep boat owners happy (out on the open water) so it was a natural selection in this case (bonus points for massive run on sentence).

The first thing to be done was to deep clean the metal and remove as much scum, buildup, dirt, and white oxidation as possible. Marine 31 Stainless Steel & Aluminum Brightening Soap was the obvious choice.

Dampen the foam application, load a little of hard powder soap onto the damp sponge, and happily scrub away.

Marine 31 Stainless Steel & Aluminum Brightening Soap features a polishing agent and a gives the surface a little bit of protection, as evidenced by the water beading immediately visible.

Since my friend Sandro owns this trailer, I thought it was a good idea to employ his children and himself. Here his son shows how easy (and fun?!) it is to restore daddy's trailer.

Part of the boating life is enjoying time with your loved one. Using Marine 31 products to quickly achieve results is like playing a game of Monopoly or taking your children to Disney World.

Marine 31 SS&ABS is safe for all metals - It was used to clean all the metal trim, diamond plate, and fender wells breathing life into once neglected trailer.

After cleaning the metal it is time to restore it. Marine 31 offers a host of different metal polishes. One of the easiest to use is Marine 31 Stainless Steel Liquid Polish.

This acid-free formula can be used on a wide variety of metals and works well by hand or with a dual-action polisher. It can even be used with a rotary polisher.

For this test I paired Marine 31 Stainless Steel Liquid Polish with a Meguiars Cutting Microfiber Disc and a Griot's Garage 3-inch Professional DA Polisher. I polished over the metal until it was really "bleeding" black and then wiped with the residue off with a microfiber towel.

I used the same process on the stainless diamond plate, although I increased the speed from 5 to 6.

You can clearly see the difference on the left (polished) side compared to the right (unpolished but cleaned) side.

After polishing you want to add some protection to the surface to help prevent future weathering. Marine 31 Stainless Steal Liquid Sealant is the easy-to-apply obvious choice. This acrylic base formula will help block out damaging sun rays, environmental exposure, and salt spray.

Simply wipe a light coat on, let haze, and buff off!

Todd.Helme@Marine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
tropicsteve

Default Re: Polishing metal with Marine 31

just what we needed, metal polishing made easy with good results. as usual, todd employs child slave labor for the made easy part.
i'm always surprised at how dirty some stainless steel can get, or even show some rust. great results todd, thanks for the quick fix.
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote