Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Sunbrella - Canavas - Vinyl - Fabric - Uphostery » Cockpit Carpet Repair

Notices

Sunbrella - Canavas - Vinyl - Fabric - Uphostery Cleaning, restoring and protecting all the various vinyl and cloth materials in and on your boat.

Cockpit Carpet Repair
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Shtexas

Default Cockpit Carpet Repair

With my Sea Ray still under repair and no way for me to start compounding the hull, I decided to clean and repair other things that need to be done.

The cockpit carpet that comes in Sea Ray boats are prone to failing quickly. The carpet itself is still good but the rubber backing deteriorates quickly and becomes brittle and comes off.

Instead of paying over a thousand dollars to replace the carpet, I decided to just replace the rubber backing and get a few more seasons out of it.

Here's pictures of the carpet before

I cleaned off all of the loose brittle rubber backing with a brush and some compressed air.
Here is the backing after I applied the liquid rubber and allowed it to dry some.

I still need to remove the tape that i put on to keep the rubber off of the carpet edging and snaps. I helped my friend apply this same backing to his carpets 3 years ago and they're still holding up well. After I remove the tape I'll clean up the edging really well to remove some stains and clean the carpet really well before putting it back in the boat.
Shtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Cockpit Carpet Repair

What is the name of the liquid rubber you applied?

Did you simply brush it on?

I like the idea...

Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Shtexas

I used a product called Fiber-Lok

I brushed on a light coat first and let it dry for about 30 minutes before I brushed on a heavier coat.

It cost me about $70 to do the 3 carpets from my boat and about 2 hours time.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
smykowski

interesting....my carpet on my boat is doing the same thing....carpet looks new (previous owner never snapped it in) but the backing is falling apart...almost looks like dried out neoprene. I'll be curious to see how well this works for you.
smykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
Shtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by smykowski View Post
interesting....my carpet on my boat is doing the same thing....carpet looks new (previous owner never snapped it in) but the backing is falling apart...almost looks like dried out neoprene. I'll be curious to see how well this works for you.
This is the fourth time I've repaired the backing on marine carpets. I was the last one of my friends to give in and do it. We've used a mix of different products to do the repairs.
The oldest repair I've helped with is 4 years old. We used Spray on Plastidip. It's still holding up well.
The second 2 we used Durabak. It holds up really well the only downside is that it has become a little stiff after 2 years.
This time I used the fiber lock. Similar to the plastidip. The downside to the plastidip process was the horrible smell from all of the solvents and chemicals in it. It took a week to fully gas out.