Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » More steps usually equals better results...

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

More steps usually equals better results...
Old 06-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default More steps usually equals better results...

More steps usually equals better results...

Just decide how nice of a finish you want and then choose how many steps you want to do. Here's an example from this 2000 24' Baja we're going to buff out Thursday night.

Before Thursday I went out and did some buffing showing the before and after results from buffing three different sections using,

1-Step: All-In_One Gel Coat Polish & Wax .

3-Steps: Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner + Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer + All-In_One Gel Coat Polish & Wax.

4-Steps: Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner + Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer + Gel Coat Final Step Polish + Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant.

This first picture shows the gel-coat in its original condition. There is zero gloss or clarity to the finish.

This second section is after buffing the gel-coat using a one-step cleaner/wax. The surface is now shinier because it's smoother and has wax protection. Not bad for a one-step and a lot of people would be happy to go from the before condition to these kind of results in one step and be done.

This next section was compounded, polished and then a one-step cleaner/wax was applied and the gloss and clarity are dramatically better than both the control and the previous section where only one-step was performed.

In this next section I compounded, polished, polished a second time with a fine cut polish and then hand applied a finishing wax and now the results are like show room new.

Each approach works and as you can see, anytime you're working on severely neglected gel-coats you will generally get better results by performing more steps.

The most important lesson to learn from this demonstration is this...

Frequent boat care is easy boat care...

Actually, frequent boat care is easy and FAST boat care. That is, if you just bought a brand new boat or if you just had your boat detailed, then NOW is the time to start regularly maintaining the gel-coat finish so it doesn't go bad in the first place.

If your gel-coat finish is already in great shape it's very fast and easy to buff around the boat ONE TIME and maintain the current condition.

As time goes by, neglect will take her toll and then you'll have to do more steps to get better results and that will mean more time, energy and investment.

Frequent boat care is easy boat care...

Old 06-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
smykowski

Default Re: More steps usually equals better results...

excellent post! Terrific break down on how your products treat the condition of gel coat, both individually and collectively. This should be stickied.
smykowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
tropicsteve

the results of that four step are definitely worth the extra work. that's a great finish.
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Shtexas

I've been tossing around how many steps I'm going to do on my own boat next week. It's a large boat at 36ft total length, so every extra step is hours and hours of additional time. After seeing this it reminded me of the difference one additional step can make. I have plenty of time to do the work so I might as well do it now.

I would end up regretting not doing the additional work once I had it in the water.
Shtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
the results of that four step are definitely worth the extra work. that's a great finish.

And like a lot of projects, the pictures don't show you as well as being here in person just how nice the finish came out and how bad it was to start with.

Yancy and I are going to try to squeeze in a "before" video today and then Friday take the "after" video as I like to document all my projects for a host of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shtexas View Post

I would end up regretting not doing the additional work once I had it in the water.

Ain't that the truth... tough decision as each time you go around a boat with a buffing step besides the buffing there's the wiping off of residue and all totaled together, doing 2, 3, and 4 steps to a boat is a lot of work.

That's why in the "Boat Detailing Industry", you don't see this type of work being done because most boat owners won't pay the kind of money it takes for both the time, professional quality products, and the talent to do it right the first time.

Of course... you always get what you pay for...

I always kept my boats "Boat Show Ready" but I've also only owned two boats and both were under 20' so my projects were a LOT easier than anyone with a boat longer than 20'.

I plan on buying a boat this time next year, not sure what type but probably a center console in the 20' range.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
professionalpolishing

People need to know how often they need to wax their boat. Most people I run into don't even start thinking about waxing their boat for a year or more after purchasing it or they think that a wax job will last a year in the Florida sun! Gel coat is a single stage surface and the only thing to protect it is the wax we apply.
professionalpolishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by professionalpolishing View Post
People need to know how often they need to wax their boat. Most people I run into don't even start thinking about waxing their boat for a year or more after purchasing it or they think that a wax job will last a year in the Florida sun! Gel coat is a single stage surface and the only thing to protect it is the wax we apply.

That is a great point and when it comes to a new boat the most important point.

It's so easy to take zero action when looking at a clean and shiny boat but oxidation takes place slowly at first and that's when to nip it in the bud. It's called

Regular Maintenance

I have two new episodes coming up on Ship Shape TV, one on Top Side Detailing and one on Hull Detailing and in these segments we address what to use and how often.

One of the goals of this forum is education as education solves problems before they become problems...

Old 06-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Shtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post

I have two new episodes coming up on Ship Shape TV, one on Top Side Detailing and one on Hull Detailing and in these segments we address what to use and how often.

I'm looking forward to those episodes. It's hard to keep up with hull maintenance when the boat is in the water.
Shtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
BlitzDetailing

nice post Mike. I just got most of the line in my arsenal now.