Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Light scrathces

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Light scrathces
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #1
andrew1012

Default Light scrathces

I have an '03 Albemarle 268 and the hull is like new. I have used your polish and wax to give it that brand new look and you wouldn't be able to tell the boat is 11 years old. The only thing is that if you catch the sun shining on it in the right place there a few light scuffs and scratches from the dock and fenders rubbing against the hull. They aren't very deep just noticeable to me. What is the best way to remove them?
andrew1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Light scrathces

Looks kind of like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1012 View Post

if you catch the sun shining on it in the right place there a few light scuffs and scratches from the dock and fenders rubbing against the hull.

They aren't very deep just noticeable to me.

What is the best way to remove them?

Just a guess on my part but to 100% remove them you'll probably have to wetsand the scratches till they're gone and the use a compound with a rotary buffer and a wool pad to remove your sanding marks.

After that polish and wax.

Have you ever wetsanded a gel-coat before?

I'm getting ready to post a thread on how to wetsand gel-coat by machine, it's fast and easy.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
andrew1012

Yes it looks just like that. I have wet sanded before but it's been quite a few years since I've done it.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Yes it looks just like that.

I have wet sanded before but it's been quite a few years since I've done it.

If you can run your fingernail over the scratches or scuffs and your fingernail drips into the scratches then in order to completely remove them chances are good you're going to have to wetsand the area flat and then buff out your sanding marks.

If it were me, and we're talking about some small areas, then I would either do it by hand or get a Griot's 3" Mini Polisher and some 3M Trizact sanding discs and sand the defects flat by machine.

Then compound out your sanding marks, polish and seal with wax.

The other option would be to just buff the area really good and this will visually improve the scratches but probably not remove them 100% but from a few feet a way you wont see them.

Let me know which direction you want to go....

Old 05-05-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
andrew1012

After spending two days detailing my boat and speaking with Nick on two different occasions I thought I was given the right advice on how to "polish and wax" my boat properly. After using my boat this weekend I started washing it like I always do. Surfaces where the boat had not been in contact with saltwater beaded up as soon as the water touched it. The other areas on the boat where it had been in contact with saltwater, like the hull and gunwales, were flat and the water sheeted right off. So I called Nick and told him of the situation. He explained to me that the water is supposed to sheet off and then he tells me I applied it wrong. I specifically called him before I started waxing my boat and he told me to use a buffer because it's less work. He suggested I use a buffer everytime because it's less work. Then today when I talked to him he said I wasn't supposed to use a buffer to take it off, only to apply it which is not what he told me. I raved to all my friends how great your product was and how easy it was to use it when I detailed my boat last weekend. After the poor customer service and attitude that Nick gave me, I won't be purchasing anymore of your products. You just lost a customer because of his attitude.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #6
Nick

Quote:
After spending two days detailing my boat and speaking with Nick on two different occasions I thought I was given the right advice on how to "polish and wax" my boat properly. After using my boat this weekend I started washing it like I always do. Surfaces where the boat had not been in contact with saltwater beaded up as soon as the water touched it. The other areas on the boat where it had been in contact with saltwater, like the hull and gunwales, were flat and the water sheeted right off. So I called Nick and told him of the situation. He explained to me that the water is supposed to sheet off and then he tells me I applied it wrong. I specifically called him before I started waxing my boat and he told me to use a buffer because it's less work. He suggested I use a buffer everytime because it's less work. Then today when I talked to him he said I wasn't supposed to use a buffer to take it off, only to apply it which is not what he told me. I raved to all my friends how great your product was and how easy it was to use it when I detailed my boat last weekend. After the poor customer service and attitude that Nick gave me, I won't be purchasing anymore of your products. You just lost a customer because of his attitude.
Hi Andrew:

To reiterate what we discussed on the phone, I do apologize for the confusion regarding the application of the product. It was my mistake for not making myself clear enough to the point where I was 100% certain that you understood my application instructions. After spending several minutes on the phone with you trying to diagnose why the wax wasn't lasting on your boat, I narrowed it down to your application technique:

When I said "work by machine" I meant to apply the wax by machine using a soft foam finishing pad, and buff it off using a microfiber towel or a microfiber bonnet. Per our conversation on the phone, you explained that you applied the product by hand, let it dry to a haze, then "buffed it off" using a foam pad on your polisher. This is not the correct way to remove the product, which is why I believe the wax didn't last as long as it should - because it was actually removed when you "buffed it off" using the machine equipped with a foam pad. No where on the bottle or the website does it instruct to remove the product this way. When I instructed you to "thoroughly work the product into the surface" that means when you apply it - not when you remove it. Make sense? As I said on the phone, I also believe your application technique is why you haven't had success with other waxes lasting on your boat.

Immediately after our discussion on the phone I sent you an email to let you know I was sending you a bottle of Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant for the confusion, to replace the wasted product. I also included the proper 6.5 inch CCS Foam Finishing Pad - something you never ordered from us - just to ensure you had the correct pad to apply the product.

Directions:

1. Shake well. Do not apply to underfoot surfaces.
2. Apply a nickel-sized amount of product onto a soft foam pad and spread evenly over surface.
3. Allow to dry to a haze.
4. Buff with a clean microfiber towel.
5. Maintain the shine and protection with Marine 31 Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus.

I'm confident that if you apply the wax as instructed on the bottle and website, you'll achieve much better results.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote